Re: Problems building GNAT on OS X with top-of-tree

On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, at 12:52  PM, Geert Bosch wrote:
OK, I see. Indeed, using -fno-common eliminates/suppresses the problem.
However, I don't see how the front end should have to know
about these details. I looked at darwin.c, and I see the implementation
of the scheme using lazy and non-lazy pointers, but there does not
seem to be any documentation at a sufficiently high level to be able
to understand what is going on there.
Right.  I didn't write it, and I still find it confusing.

I'm focussing now on finding out why this problems does not occur with
the C front end, which seems to use the same method for outputting
variables in the common section.
You could do that.   Alternatively, I see that the correct sequence is
generated for ada__exceptions__null_occurrence, which is also a .comm
symbol.  You might look and see what's different about the symbols.
This is probably just a matter of getting some field set correctly.