Re: Is the gcc-3_3-branch creation still on target?

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 11:56:08AM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> David O'Brien writes:
> > I spoke with our package builder about this.  He says it takes 24 hours
> > with a cluster of 8 build machines (pentium-III/800).
>
> That works out to 86.4 sec/package if each machine builds 1000 packages.
> Seems a bit on the slow side, but quite possible.

Oh, how I wish each of the gcc33, gcc32, and gcc31 ports built in only
86.4 seconds.  Don't supose you could help with that? ;-)

Seriously, each port is build in a clean chroot environment that takes a
while to set up?  Including pkg_add'ing dependent packages, etc.

> Unfortunately, if no volunteers can be found for such tasks, we tend to
> find these things out the hard way.  You say you want to go to 3.3-pre
> because you're not satisfied with 3.2's quality, but there's no magic
> that's going to make 3.3 better, other than people building 8000 packages
> with "experimental compilers" (whether from the 3.2 or the 3.3 branch).

We still plan to move to 3.3; *and* do it before it is released.  One
reason is to feed into the pre-release testing phase, while things can be
more easily fixed.