Re: Release schedule

>>>>> Mark Mitchell writes:

Mark> If necessary, I will ask the SC to close the various other development
Mark> branches.  Part of our problem is that we are all working on new C++
Mark> parsers, SIMPLE, loop optimizers, and all kinds of fun stuff -- not
Mark> fixing bugs.

Mark> We need to remind ourselves that teamwork requires the tedium of drills
Mark> in addition to the fun of playing games.

	When do you propose that major, new features be developed?  Our
current schedule does not allocate any time for the extended effort
required to design and implement major advances.  It does provide for
merging major, new features in Stage 1, but new features cannot be
developed in three months.

	Because of the overlap between releases and development, GCC
developers are forced to make a choice.  Many developers were unable to
contribute major improvements they had planned for GCC 3.3 because they
spent all their time in the GCC 3.1/3.2 release engineering process.  They
justifiably are not going to allow themselves to be placed in the same
predicament.

	The current GCC schedule is unworkable because it does not provide
any time when developers can have fun and make great strides without
affecting the release schedule.  The GCC schedule should be revised to
take this into account.

David