Re: [tree-ssa] Merging with bnw-simple

On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 12:43  PM, Jason Merrill wrote:

On 24 Sep 2002 17:59:21 +0200, Steven Bosscher <s.bosscher@student.tudelft.nl> wrote:

Op di 24-09-2002, om 16:02 schreef Diego Novillo:
1- Merge the changes into tree-ssa-branch directly.  This will
   likely break all the current tree optimizers and mudflap.  I
   would commit the patch after fixing basic things like the
   flowgraph and DFA/SSA.  Bootstraps on the branch would likely
   be broken for a while until we sort everything out.
Broken bootstraps are not an argument for not merging now. We still
can't do interesting bootstraps (with SSA-any enabled) on the tree-ssa
branch now anyway.
How would you feel about merging now vs. waiting 1-2 weeks for Diego to fix
basic things?

Advantage of merging now: Folks that don't rely on the flowgraph et al
(i.e. g95, mudflap) can start moving over to the new IL.

Advantage of waiting: Folks that do rely on the flowgraph et al
(i.e. optimizers) can keep working on their optimizations. Of course,
they could just not update their trees until the basics are fixed, so
this seems like a weaker argument.
Not updating was actually what i planned to do, for a few days, regardless of when the merge happens, so merging now seems to make more sense, at least for me.

Jason