Re: C++ ABI Issues

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 09:51:16AM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> > The SC didn't decide anything, nor is it even debating the issue.  We
> > can raise it, if you like, but the consensus on the lists seemed to be
> > to leave things alone for a while.

> The consensus, at least as I interpreted it, was to leave 3.2 compatible
> with 3.3 by default, add warning code to detect cases that would be
> handled differently, and have some option to generate "correct" code for
> the known bad cases.  The details were not completely fleshed out.

"Leaving things along" does not match my interpretation of the discussion
at all.  Joe's interpretation matches what I came away from the
discussion with.  That being that 3.3 and 3.2 would be able to be ABI
compatable (either by default, or with a command line switch for 3.3).
And that 3.3 would have a fixed C++ ABI that was either the default ABI,
or selectable via a command line switch.