RE: G++ 3.2, Sol 7/sparc, dynamic linking problem?

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Watts, Simon (UK) wrote:
> Unfortunately, buildstat does not include a description of the conditions
> under which gcc was build -- eg, binutils or Solaris 'binutils', config
> settings etc.  Though I could track down one of those reponsible...

I use gcc on Solaris daily, though my build is a little out of date:

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8/3.1/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/opt/gcc
--enable-languages=c++,java --host=sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8
--with-as=/opt/gnu/bin/as --with-ld=/opt/gnu/bin/ld --with-dwarf2
--enable-threads
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.1

I haven't experienced any major problems with this config, using binutils
2.11.2.

> Further to my last posting, that 'strip' (binutils 2.12.1) corrupted the
> executables, I have since noticed that the Sun strip (/usr/ccs/bin/strip)
> seems to work OK on the GNU generated binaries.

I too noticed GNU strip is broken.  Did you report this to the binutils
list?

> Still getting the assembler warnings when compiling with gcj:
>
> 	Warning: .stabs: description field '2f002f' too big, try a different
> debug format
>
> Now trying to find out how to build binutils/GCC to use a different debug
> format, and if so which (what is used by Sun?).

Sun's as/ld/dbx only understand stabs, I think.  That's why stabs is the
default on Solaris.  If you'll be doing any serious debugging with gdb,
you'll probably want dwarf2.  Try --with-dwarf2 on your configure command
if you use GNU binutils.

I'd have to say, reading this thread, I'm not quite sure what you're
trying to accomplish... it might be easier to help you if you stated
exactly what you want.

Jeff