GDB not recognizing the core file

Hi,
I am working on AIX 4.3.2.0.
Using GCC 3.2 to build
My application is running properly in debug build but giving silently exiting in release build.
It created a core file.
But when I try to use gdb on the core file, gdb says, core File format not recognized.

So here I want to know two things,
1. why my application is silently exiting in release build.
2. why gdb is not able to read the core file

Thanks,
Abhijit.