Re: C++ Extension: Default argument circularity stuff

On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 03:45 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

G++ has some special code to try to make sure that it doesn't make any
difference in what order functions with default arguments are
processed.  (This is the stuff in do_pending_defargs involving
defarg_depfns.)

I never understood the motivation for that change in the first place
(as far as I can tell, the standard does not require us to jump
through these hoops, nor does any other compiler behave like G++).

Do we need to keep this stuff, or can it go away in the new parser?
My feeling is that it would probably be a good thing if it went
away.  (Especially if it were possible to issue a warning when
users do things where the order would make a difference.)  This
sort of checking almost certainly hurts compilation speed.

			--Matt