Re: Sequential build of libjava

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 11:20:45AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>> %% Brad Lucier <lucier@math.purdue.edu> writes:
>>  bl> OK, so what can be done at build invocation time to get this right?

You could design some wacky invocation of GNU make extensions to get
something that expands to "+" with GNU make but to "" with other makes.

For example

	PLUS = $(subst -,+,-)
	MULTIDO = $(PLUS)$(MAKE)

has the desired result with GNU make and is acceptable to (what Linux
calls) pmake, which claims to be BSD make.  However it is probably a
syntax error with some other makes, so it's an insanely fragile
approach, and...

> We could do it differently, easily enough - it
> just requires a little more autoconfisation, and we can then use
> CONDITIONAL for this, I think.

...so doing that would be much more sensible :-).

    John