Re: HPUX C++ ABI, and the vendor library

I'd like to add a point to this discussion, namely the issue of using
g++ without aCC on HP-UX.

In the past, one strength of GCC was that you could use it in place of
the vendor compiler on Unix for C development. That only works because
vendors ship the system header files, and static libraries, even when
not bundling the C compiler.

*If* the same can be achieved for C++ on HP-UX, I think it is
desirable to conform to the vendor ABI: users could install g++
without having to purchase aCC.

OTOH, if users can use g++ only together with libstdc++, or by
installing aCC as well, it seems less desirable for g++ to follow the
vendor ABI.

There is probably also the issue of using the vendor's C++ library at
all (something which g++ is not prepared to do), but I'd hope this can
be solved if necessary.

Does anybody know whether HPUX 11i 1.6 (or whatever the ia64 version
is) ships with C++ headers?

Regards,
Martin