Re: HPUX C++ ABI

On Thursday, September 12, 2002, at 09:19 PM, Kumar Gala wrote:

But speaking seriously, we Appleites deal with corporate pressure
to support various hacks by maintaining our own version of GCC and
taking on all the costs that go with that, so I'm wondering why it
is that HP can't do the same.  While I personally don't have a problem
doing a little favor for HP, it's going to be really tricky to avoid
charges of favoritism and bias later on if, say, some Apple feature is
shot down.
I have to agree that this is very slippery slope. What stops from extend this to programming models like the AltiVec PIM. Currently GCC supports its own variant of the PIM while all other compilers that implement the specified PIM.

While making GCC support the AltiVec PIM may introduce code into places that are required only to support the PIM, it would be more generally useful to the user base.

Apple obviously ships a modified GCC that supports the spec'd PIM. I would be really nice if users could have code that worked under Linux as well as Mac OS X.
We'd be completely in favor of that, of course.

			--Matt