Single Element Vectors

Dear GCC Steering Committee,

  We have a request from a customer to implement support for a single
  element vectors in gcc for one of their processors.  Their ABI
  requires that vectors are handled differently from ordinary types,
  and it includes a single element, 64-bit vector which GCC would
  normally consider to be exactly equivalent to a long long.

  I have suggested to them that they reconsider this support for
  single element vectors, but they wish to keep it.  I also suggested
  that although it is possible to add this feature, it was likely to
  be rejected by you.  Was I correct in making this assertion ?

  If so, they would like to know why single element vectors should not
  be supported.  What ramifications does it have and what would
  supporting them break ?

Cheers
        Nick Clifton