Re: bug introduced by inlining patch

On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 12:11 AM, Kurt Garloff wrote:

Hi Dale,

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 06:09:02PM -0700, Dale Johannesen wrote:
I believe this patch broke some things:

2002-04-27  Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de>
[...]

The effect is that the documented flag -finline-limit no longer works
to increase the default inlined size limit. You also need to say
--param max-inline-insns-single; I think this is wrong. Also, the patch
contains no documentation for the new parameters.
What version of gcc are you looking at?
3.2 branch? HEAD?
The main trunk at gcc.gnu.org:/cvs/gcc.  If there's another version
somewhere that has these things fixed, it needs to be applied here,
I think.

I haven't tried it, but it looks like this change

 read_integral_parameter (option_value, arg - 2,
 			  MAX_INLINE_INSNS);

 set_param_value ("max-inline-insns", val);
 set_param_value ("max-inline-insns-single", val/2);
alters the meaning of -finline-limit from what it was previously (i.e.
the size limit for an individual function is half what it was).  I think
that needs some discussion, at a minimum.

(If anybody's lost, the patch was discussed in Aug 01 and later in
Apr/May 02; most of the discussion was on gcc, not gcc-patches.
The discussion does mention documentation changes but they don't
seem to have been checked in.  I'm having a little trouble tracking
this; Kurt Garloff isn't in MAINTAINERS, so I wonder if somebody
checked this in for him?)