Re: Language-independent functions-as-trees representation

On 23 Aug 2002 14:56:10 +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

> Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> writes:
>
> | I suppose another strategy would be to clean up the expand
> | placeholders in the C/C++ IR one by one, rather than try to simplify it to
> | something rather different all at once, but that would not address the
> | STMT/EXPR issue.
>
> True.  Is it acceptable (from the Release Manager point of view) to make
> that change now?  If we can't then it would be a really confusing
> situation with the increasing number of branches and the amazing work
> already done on them...  If we can, then that may make life a lot
> easier...

My current strategy only changes the simplifier, so it only affects the
tree-ssa branch.  I'm also in favor of changing the C/C++ frontend IR, but
the urgent thing is to establish the framework for the optimizers.  How we
get there isn't as important.

Jason