This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: C as target platform?
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com>
- To: Helmut Zeisel <helmut dot zeisel at liwest dot at>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:47:26 -0400
- Subject: Re: C as target platform?
- References: <20020823090305.A29882@cm44-20.liwest.at>
On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 09:03:05AM +0200, Helmut Zeisel wrote:
> Could C (or even KR-C) as a supported target platform solve
> many of the problems with respect to a front-end
> written in C++ or any other language?
> In that case, one would have not only a Fortran to C
> (similar to the existing F2C), but also an ADA2C, C++2C etc.
> For bootstrapping (and maybe for the distribution) of GCC,
> one could use the C-"compiled" version of GCC,
> although the real source is written in some other language.
Code to compile to C has been repeatedly declined, at RMS's request.
It makes using GCC as a frontend for a proprietary compiler too
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer