saving tree structure

hi,
I'm trying to save the tree (AST) to a file so
that I can compile it later. I need to do this
to perform interprocedural analysis before producing
an executable. I'm wondering if this would be
doable, or if anybody did a similar work on gcc.

I don't have much idea of how to do this now. I think
I would have to augment dump_node() in tree-dump.c to
save global variables if any. assuming this would work,
then I hope that it would be enough to just call
finish_function() multiple times on the saved tree nodes,
to finish up the rest of the compilation steps. well, I
haven't really tried it yet, so I may be speaking nonsense.
anyways, I'll appreciate for any comment.
thanks,
kyung-suk Lhee
klhee@syr.edu