Re: Faster compilation speed: cache behavior

On Tuesday, August 20, 2002, at 03:45 PM, Geoff Keating wrote:
Does Apple's memset use dcbz?  I'm curious why memset should cause any
cache misses at all.
The symbols mentioned are just one possible value of the pc within the millisecond (by default) when the sample was taken. The sample collects all the events of interest. Because memset consumes massive amounts of time, it naturally stops off in this routine, and it is tagged as `responsible' for the stats, even though, it need not have much to do with it. I'd guess though, much of the time the correlation is interesting however.

So, for example:

void foo() {
routine that takes time
memset
another routine
}

the events from one or the other routine (I'd have to re-read the doc, or try an experiment to be sure) can show up in a line called memset.