Re: Problem with PFE approach [Was: Faster compilation speed]

On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 07:05  AM, Stan Shebs wrote:
It sounds to me like you're favoring a revival of the old NeXT system
of precomps that were systemwide and and per-include file. That approach,
even after years of tuning and tweaking, tended to top out at about 4X
speedup, while PFE precomps are at 6X after just a few months of work.
(Admittedly, the NeXT scheme is based on a separate preprocessor, which
limits its effectiveness.)

I'm not really in favor of exactly the approach NeXT took. Instead, I'm in favor of the compiler and IDE precompiling EVERY header that gets seen (ok, maybe not every one, but all the ones that make sense for some reasonable value of 'sense'). Also, these headers should be cached in the person's build directory.

So, just like you have a .o cached for a .c file, you should have a .p file cached for a .h file (or whatever suffix).

Hopefully this would be faster than the NeXT implementation due to (a) hitting more headers and (b) being integrated into the compiler proper instead of as a split preprocessor as you say.

Additionally, this fixes the invalid precomps problem that NeXT had (since each user will end up caching their own precomp for the system headers when they build their project).

Of course, the big problem I see with my suggestion is that you'd potentially end up with a huge number of precompiled header files. You could limit this by only precompiling headers that were included in an actual source file. But, this would mean that if A.h and B.h both include C.h and [AB].h are included in some source file, both would contain a copy of C.h. This would use extra space on disk (and you'd have to be able to skip spurious duplicate includes)

But as a practical thing, a 6X speedup in the compiler so radically
changes what you can do day-to-day, that it's worth some effort and
some process change to accommodate it.  CW precomps have all the flaws
you're pointing out, and yet CW users are pretty happy with it; by
editing their prefix file, they can adjust their one precomp to include
more or fewer of their own headers, depending on whether a header is
stable or not, and can do this at any point during development.
Sometimes the compiler will do too much recompiling, but who cares if
it only takes a minute to completely rebuild a big project?
Yes, I'm amazingly happy with PFE so far. It is definitely a worthwhile change.

I wonder if the CW users have just gotten used to the broken dependency checking -- I'm guessing they are more 'resigned and mostly content' than 'happy' :)

At any rate, I'll be most happy with PFE if the dependency checking in ProjectBuilder remains as it is (i.e., the PFE is assumed to be a #included file for the purposes of dependency). Again, PFE is a major improvement (as I'm sure you know better than most).

Thanks!

-tim