Backend Programming

Hi,

I would like to use GCC to program some types of microcontrollers -
Microchip's PIC if it's of any interest - and I would like to know the
amount of work involved in writing a backend for this very small chip?
It has very few instructions and very few registers.

In fact, it's probably very near some already existing backend so,
hopefully, I won't have to start from scratch. I don't have any
experience in GCC but I have a strong background in C/C++. So, just to
summarize:

1. How much time anyone thinks it takes?
2. Any pointers to what I have to do?

Note: I don't need any part of the standard libraries.

Eric Robert
Software Engineer