Re: Common C++ ABI

Jim Wilson wrote:
----->

Some interoperability may be possible in some special circumstances.  We may
be close enough that it would be possible for one vendor to release a compiler
that is bug-compatible with another vendor.  The FSF is unlikely to do this,
but we might see commercial compilers for GNU/Linux that are bug-compatible
with gcc.

<----

It remains pure unobtainium!  ;-)

Maybe I was just thinking wishfully, but isn't this
the whole point to standardizing binary interfaces?
g++ has always worked with g++ of the same version.
Is cross-version compatibility the only benefit of the
new ABI?

By the way, 3.2 compiles on Irix6.5 and Solaris2.6 here
with tweaking,  and cleanly on RH Limbo.   Nice work,
guys!

Bob Jamison
LinCom Corp