Re: Faster compilation speed

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> And that, in turn, is probably impossible to fix as long as gcc uses
> garbage collection for most of its internal memory management.  There
> just aren't all that many worse ways to f*ck up your cache behaviour
> than by using lots of allocations and lazy GC to manage your memory.

Excuse the interruption, but from what I read a good generational garbage
collector can be just as fast as manually managing memory?  Is this not
the case?  If so could some one point me to some information regarding
why?  I am not trying to argue with anyone as I really don't know that
much about GC except from what I read in a few papers.

Sorry, I was reading this thread and that point struct me by surprise.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org