Re: Faster compilation speed

   From: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh@redhat.com>
   Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 18:45:00 -0700

   > 2) Make RTL/TREE layout less pointer driven.

   For the clueless, ahem me, could you go into more detail on this?

Embed RTL object info instead of using pointers to other RTL objects.

It's about as far a reaching change as reference counting RTL and
killing off garbage collection.  The reason #2 is so far reaching is
that it would require changing several of the semantics of shared RTL
and also getting rid of the places that just randomly stick new RTL
all over the place.

Garbage collection is just an excuse to be lazy with how we manage
RTL objects in GCC.

Further consideration suggests that you can approach either solution
in at least two stages.  The first stage is somehow documenting in
the code each spot where we rewrite existing RTL.  That makes the
rest of the work a bit easier.