Re: Faster compilation speed

   From: Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org>
   Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:44:00 -0400 (EDT)

   The timings were horrendous.
   But what can we do to increase cache locality, or get rid of these
   problems?

And TLB locality...  I propose two possible solutions.

1) Reference count these objects properly, and stop being at the
   mercy of the garbage collector.

2) Make RTL/TREE layout less pointer driven.

I read elsewhere today someone saying that garbage collecting is for
people who cannot count, and after trying to beat GCC's GC into
submission for a few weeks I couldn't agree more :-)  And for this
reason if I had the time right now I'd probably tackle #1 first.