Re: Faster compilation speed

Aldy Hernandez wrote:

Let's take my combine elision patch. This patch makes the compiler generate worse code. The way in which it is worse, is that more stack space is used. How much more, well, my initial guess is that it is less than 10% worse. Not too bad. Maybe users would care, maybe they
I assume you have already looked at the horrendity of the code
presently generated by -O0.  It's pretty unusable as it is.  Who would
really want to use gcc under the influence of "worse than -O0"?
Really.

OK, then to really rub it in, CW runs much faster than GCC, even on
that slow Darwin OS :-), and that's with its non-optimizing case being
about halfway between GCC's -O0 and -O1, and works well with the
debugger still.

Sacrificing -O0 optimization is just a desperation move, since
we don't seem to have many other ideas about how to make GCC as
fast as CW.

Stan