Re: Ada-3.1.1 Makefile Madness

On Friday 09 August 2002 11:49 am, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Friday 09 August 2002 08:25 am, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> >
> > Michael S. Zick <mszick@goquest.com> writes:
> >
> > I have repeated the bootstrap with the build directory totally seperate
> > from the source directory - Once I finish groking this 30MB log file
> > produced by "make -d -p bootstrap" I may have more information.
>
> In follow-up:
>
> Note the "Bootstrap complete" message above, even though "make
> stage3:bootstrap" only returned.

</End-Panic>

I have completed three, full bootstraps (each using the generated compiler
and tools) now.  Think of it as a 9-Stage bootstrap.

Four of the Ada tools varied by a few bytes during the second build;
gnat, gnatfind, and gnatkr - each by 32 bytes;
gnatprep by 64 bytes.

The second and third builds are identical in all filesizes.

I have diff'd all three build logs ("make -d -p ...") and found only the
expected differences (times, pids, etc).

Conclusions:
1) Massive "Cockpit Error" at my keyboard.
2) The makefile's are doing the build as intended, although not quite in the
way described.

I will post a standard completion report RSN, with some tips to other "first
timers" in the body.

I will work on revising those files in <release>/INSTALL to perhaps make the
instructions a little more clear and consistant.

Thanks for everybody's time on the list.

Mike