Re: Faster compilation speed

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 01:04 PM, Noel Yap wrote:

Build speeds are most helped by minimizing the number
of files opened and closed during the build.  I think
a good start would be to have preprocessed header
files.  My idea would be to add options to cpp that
would have it produce preprocessed files.  Doing so
would allow it to be easily integrated into a build
system like "make".
Apple does have a precompiled header mechanism, yes.
We call it PFE, and we're working on contributing it
to the FSF.  (If you'd like to take a look, the source
code is, of course, available.)

You're right that precompiled headers are important;
PFE is an enormous help.  But we're greedy: we want
to make compilation even faster than it is with PFE.
That's what Mike's message is all about.

You should expect to see a lot of compilation-speed
patches from various Apple people.

			--Matt