Re: gcc 3.2's cpp breaks configure scripts

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 02:47:40PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:

> > > The Right Thing to do is not to add -I/usr/include because that can cause
> > > subtle breakage as well.
> >
> > Or maybe the right thing is to fix autoconf so that it doesn't think a
> > warning is a fatal error.
>
> The problem is that there are very large numbers of GNU and other freeware
> packages out there with this defect in their autoconf files.  When we
> release 3.2, people are going to have a bear of a time building
> distributions.  It will be seen as a gcc problem, even if a good argument
> can be made that it is an autoconf problem.

    It seems somewhat ludicrous that the idea of an option to disable
the spewing of the message, which breaks a significant number of
configure scripts, is shunned.  "Let's break lots of code and expect
everyone else to fix their stuff and not provide any sort of work
around".  Pretty pathetic.