Re: libgcc_s, Linux, and PT_GNU_EH_FRAME, and binutils

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 07:31:26AM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> --On Monday, August 05, 2002 07:25:13 AM -0700 Richard Henderson
> <rth@twiddle.net> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 08:45:20AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >>As long as there is a configure option to build anyway.  That's an
> >>awful lot of released systems you're talking about not building on!
> >
> >So?  If you're upgrading gcc, you can upgrade binutils too.
>
> Agreed.  On a system which supports the configury options discussed, they
> should be used.

I agree with both of these statements, but as I undertstand it that's
not the whole issue.  Jakub included a glibc version in his list of
necessary infrastructure to get ABI compliance, and upgrading glibc on
a running system is very different from upgrading the compiler and
linker.  Requiring glibc 2.2.5 to build a native compiler is not OK.

How necessary it is I don't remember at the moment.