Re: Apple's PFE for GCC is now available

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 11:43 PM, Neil Booth wrote:

Finally, if you're wondering how this relates to the PCH branch, it's
being actively discussed.  PFE has both pluses and minuses relative to
the current PCH work, and ideally we'll be able to use both in coming
up with superior precompiled header support for FSF GCC.
Where is it being actively discussed?  It's a shame this stuff isn't
out in the open; I'd like to know what the plans are as I have (had)
ideas of my own.
This is the right place. This is the place where we are discussing it.

The plan is to make gcc/g+ 6x faster. Exactly how we do that, is up for discussion. We have an initial implementation that gets us there that we are using in our production compiler. If it meets the various standards for the tree, would be nice to get it into the tree. Once in, we can then refine it further.

Also, if people that are interested would grab a copy and try it out, say on linux or apple boxes, find/fix problems, try it out and just give feedback on the performance enhancement they see, say for GTK+, mozilla or pick your favorite monster, that would help. Also, let us know if it `feels' ready for prime time. Let us know if it breaks your builds... Are there any problems with it that should be addressed before it goes into the tree?