Re: G77 question (re: libg2c)

Gregory Z wrote:

> Does libg2c have anything to do with c? The question boils
> down to whether there is much difference in concept between
> g77 and f2c (or f77 and f2c, for that matter). What has me
> hooked on this question is the "to c" implied in the moniker
> "libg2c". I understand that libg2c is a set of libraries to
> handle GNU Fortran routines that the compiler does not do
> directly. Are these libraries written originally in C? Or in
> assembler?

The libraries are written in C (you can check for yourself - one of the
many advantages of using Free Software :-)

libg2c is a derivative of libf2c, the run-time library of the f2c compiler,
which *does* translate Fortran to C (that's what its name implies).

However, g77 does *not* translate Fortran to C, but to assembler.  It uses
the lib{fg}2c library interface to call the run time library.

Hope this helps,