Re: Apple's GCC 3.1

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

At http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/unix.html I found the following:

 Developers will appreciate the inclusion of GCC 3.1, which offers 25%
 better code generation and compiles your code in as little as one sixth
 the time.

Is this pure marketing hype -- For most of us GCC 3.1 is slower, and
often quite a bit, than GCC 2.95 -- or due to some hacks by Apple not
(yet) contributed back to FSF GCC?

Gerald

The faster compilation is due to PFE precompiled headers - the 6x is typical
for programs using Apple's enormous headers. The better code gen is relative
to 2.95, and does include some local changes, some of which are have been
contributed, some of which have been offered and rejected, and some of which
still need to be prepared for submission.

Incidentally, I now have our PFE machinery working (usually :-) ) on Linux,
and expect to be announcing it to this list soon.

Stan