Re: Language-independent functions-as-trees representation

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 01:35:30AM -0400, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > > It would only make sense with whole program optimizations for
> > > interprocedural analysis.  Currently GCC does not do anything of this
> > > kind but we should think forward and whole program optimizations is
> > > something that some of us might want to see.
> >
> > I was under the impression that this kind of whole-program IPA could only
> > be done in the linker.  Or at least, in whatever tool is performing the
> > role of the linker.
>
> Only?
> Certainly not, there are tons of ways to do it.

Sorry, I was thinking of the present situation, where the compiler (usually)
never sees the whole program at once.

> And it's not usually done "in" the linker.
> The linker just calls the front/middle/back end (varies by compiler),
> with the names of all the objects,

Ah, hadn't thought of that.  Usually when I think of IPA, I think of a
smarter linker, rather than a smarter back end with a linker that knows
how to call back to it.

> or, loads a shared lib and hands it
> the sections that contain the IPA data.

Hmmmm...