Re: Language-independent functions-as-trees representation

Why?  We don't currently share expressions in RTL; why would we want to do
so in SIMPLE?
Maybe this will make more sense after my other comment below.

Besides that, it makes things like rtx_equal_p simple/faster to implement,
and could save tons of memory.

Sorry, I don't follow.  Most computations care very much about where they
are in the control flow; if I move computations about arbitrarily, their
values will tend to change.  The value of "x + y" is different before and
after I increment x.  It's the job of CSE to recognize when we can share
values between multiple instances of an expression.
I was implicitly (sorry!) in SSA form.