Re: Language-independent functions-as-trees representation

Jason Merrill wrote:-

> In a previous thread, Diego has suggested that inlining would be done on
> language-dependent trees.  I think this is a mistake; IMO it should be done
> at the SIMPLE level.  Requiring the inliner to know about frontend trees is
> wrong.

With appropriate use of a language hook or two, it should be possible
to do it on the front-end representation.  I suspect this is ideal in
general, because different languages have different constraints on what
is and is not possible in various situations, that tends to get lost
after lowering.

Neil.