Re: Spammed on posting a bug in GNATS

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 04:41:31AM +0600, Denis Zaitsev wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 05:31:53AM -0400, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Richard Dawe wrote:
>> > Fairly soon after I posted a bug in GNATS I got spammed by some Korean, with
>> > my bug report as the attachment.
>>
>> Me too.
>>
>> > The mail is from "naver.com". How would I go
>> > about getting these people removed from whichever GCC list they're subscribed
>> > to?
>>
>> I just did that; see CC line.  Not sure what else to do; it's
>> likely they aren't identifiable as subscribers.  Spam forwarded
>> on request.
>
>What does this overseers do?  BTW, many gnu.org's lists suffers from
>such spam...

This overseer spends a portion of every day inspecting mailing list traffic,
blocking spammy email addresses, and tweaking keyword filters to perfect
the spam blocking.

For instance, here is the log from a recent (ten minutes ago) block:

ul  6 15:52:11 sourceware spam: blocked: doctors_office8803i02@excite.com 212.137.60.227 -> sourcemaster@sources.redhat.com (global subject: Are HGH products different?)

Here's one that never made it to gcc-bugs:

Jul  6 13:57:34 sourceware spam: blocked: total-admin@objets.net 217.127.31.182 -> gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org (no listname: <total@objets.net>)

So, complain if you want, but we do try hard not to let the spam through.

Oh, and the naver.com addresses were removed from the subscription list
after seeing the above message.

cgf