Re: C++ binary compatibility between GCC 3.1 and GCC 3.2?

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 02:32:55PM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | > Because our goal is to produce minor releases that fix critical bugs.
> | >
> | > Adding in new, not nearly as well-tested ABI changes, one week for a
> | > release is simply not going to happen.
> |
> | What about postponing this change for 3.1.2 -
>
> That would make an ABI incompatibility in minor releases.  That is
> worst than incompatibility between major releases.
>
> | with possible renaming
> | it to 3.2.2 - with the goal to be compatible to GCC mainline?
>
> I raise the same objection.  Minor releases should not introduce ABI
> incompatibilities.  They should just feature non-ABI breaking bug
> fixes.

But if 3.1.2 was called 3.2, it would not be minor release but major, thus
could introduce ABI incompatibilities.
Apple could stay at 3.1, while Linux vendors, FreeBSD and whoever
is currently preparing 3.1.x based distribution could still switch to this
3.2 and be (hopefully) binary compatible with the upcoming 3.3
(current trunk).

	Jakub