Re: objdir == srcdir is completely unsupported

In article <20020627164520.A24749@disaster.basement.lan>,
Phil Edwards<phil@jaj.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:03:36PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>> Well, given recent discussions here, concerning Phil's patch which was
>> later reverted, I'm still confused.

Hey guys,

I already filed some private commentary last week.  But it appears I
can't get out of being dragged into this issue again.  Let me plop my
diplomat hat on before starting.

> Here is the history as I can recall it:

> Loren proposed the documentation patch.  It was approved and committed to
> mainline and branch.

True.

> I pointed out that many moons ago, there had been some suggestions for
> turning in-srcdir builds into a separate objdir, and so I threw out a
> suggested patch.

True, and I referred to those past suggestions and lack of approved
and committed implementation and/or other general improvements to fix
the situation.

> IIRC, Mark recommended to Loren that the doc patch be kept on the branch and
> reverted on the trunk, and recommended to me that the issue be revisited
> after the 3.1 release (which was coming up soon).  I used to have all
> the email from the above, until I did my semiregular mailbox weeding,
> so I can't point you to a place in the archives.

Actually, the patch was reverted on the 3.1.X branch but not on the
mainline/trunk.  Unless I messed up following instructions, I am quite
certain that I was asked to do it that way...

Rationale from memory: The patch was reverted on 3.1.X branch since
enough patches went in right before the release to make enough people
think that in-source configuration was now working.  Unfortunately,
due to no one's fault, it appears that some/all multilib in-source
configurations actually shipped broken.  I know I don't test such an
in-source configuration.  Oh well, no matter how we slice it, that is
the price we pay for allowing our users to configure our source tree
as *zero* active gcc developers nominally do it... (and which was the
point of my whole argument for the documentation patch...)

(Let me readjust my diplomat hat, it just fell off for a moment. ;-)

Lest we forget, DJ spoke up that he was willing to fix such issues
with in-source configuration as they were reported and he has lived up
to his word to a tee.

> More recently, I proposed and Mark approved the srcdir translating patch.
> DJ pointed out that he had in fact formally rejected that patch, instead of
> simply not liking it.  The patch was reverted on both trunk and branch,
> even though srcdir builds were broken in the 3.1 release.  DJ then
> applied a patch to both trunk and branch which he said seems to fix it.
> (As an aside, the fix seems opaque to me, but apparently it's some kind
> of autoconf thing not happening in the right order, or something.)

We may not agree with how DJ fixed it but he lived up to his word to
do so.

> Loren's doc patch remains on the branch.

Correction: The doc patch in question remains on the mainline.

> This brings us to the present.

Yes, thank you for writing it all down before I started.  I am not
recommending any action; only adding/correcting the history.

Regards,
Loren