Re: Calling a MIPS maintainer (was Re: GCC build failed for mips-elf with your patch on 2002-06-18T19:37:45Z.)

Since I'm in the midst of trying to make the CPU config files a bit cleaner,
I thought I'd provide some feedback:

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 08:35:10PM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 09:25:40PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> >
> > I think this is what HJ was sort of trying to do with the <sgidefs.h>
> > header or whatever it was called, followed by
> >
> >     #if _MIPS_ISA > some_magic_number
> >     use assembly
> >     #else
> >     do something generic
> >     #endif
> >
> > in config/cpu/mips/bits/atomicity.h.  Of course, anything that didn't have
> > <sgidefs.h> broke, thus the patch was reverted and MIPS went back to the
> > generic routines.
>
> That was my old patch. I have submitted a new one which only includes
> <sgidefs.h> if _MIPS_ISA is defined. Please check out the archive.

I can't find the new patch.  All I can find is followup discussion.
It looks the the problem now is that you're duplicating the generic
routines inside the mips atomicity.h, and then switching between them.
That won't work, because if/when we change the generic versions, mips will
get left out in the cold.

The MIPS I vs MIPS II switch must be done /outside/ atomicity.h.

Phil