Re: GCC trunk SPEC2000 performance

In message <200206202034.QAA24414@makai.watson.ibm.com>, David Edelsohn writes:

 > Jeff> But how/why did we have a non-REG thingie in the register replacement
 > array?
 > Jeff> That's key to knowing if Jan's patch is correct or just papering over
 > a problem
 > Jeff> elsewhere.
 >
 > 	If Honza is papering over a problem, then other parts of the
 > compiler have been papering over the same problem for over five years.  It
 > certainly looks like a MEM could occur.
What I'd like to see is a reference to the actual code that turns a REG
expression into a MEM tha tcan occur before reload.  Given a pointer to
that hunk of code, then we clearly know Honza's patch is correct and we
can ask him (or anyone) to update it slightly to include suitable comments
about MEMs appearing in the register array and install it.  Without that
basic information we have no idea if his patch is actually correct or not.

The fact that other code may or may not be papering over a bug has no bearing
on whether or not Jan's patch is correct.

jeff