Re: GCL as gcc front end?

Camm Maguire <camm@enhanced.com> writes:

> Greetings!  I've recently been appointed by RMS to maintain gcl, the
> official GNU Common Lisp.  I was wondering about the prospects of
> eventually including gcl as a supported front-end to the gcc suite of
> compilers.  After all, gcj is there, and it has garbage collection,
> and a runtime required (I think) too.  What would it take?  As a
> *very* long term goal, that is?

It's a simple 3-step process:

1. Write a language frontend.
2. Submit patch.
3. Have patch approved.

You can get more detail on how to do (1) from the GCC documentation,
and that's likely to take you long enough that when you're done you
can come back and ask how to arrange for (2) and (3) :-).

The current gcl is not a GCC frontend; it compiles to C as an
intermediate language, not trees.  That would be the biggest change
you'd have to make.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> <geoffk@redhat.com>