GCL as gcc front end?

Greetings!  I've recently been appointed by RMS to maintain gcl, the
official GNU Common Lisp.  I was wondering about the prospects of
eventually including gcl as a supported front-end to the gcc suite of
compilers.  After all, gcj is there, and it has garbage collection,
and a runtime required (I think) too.  What would it take?  As a
*very* long term goal, that is?

Take care,