Re: CVS server deadlocked?

In message <m2n0tujqa7.fsf@culebra.cygnus.com>, Aldy Hernandez writes:

 >  >> The logs I have, show my rtag operations fighiting with anoncvs
 >  >> access.
 >
 >  > That's normal for any large operation.
 >
 > It was taking forever so I killed it.  Later I found that was very bad
 > of me.
 >
 > I have apologized perfusely to Diego.
 >
 > So... How long is long enough?  I mean it was taking about an hour
 > when I killed it.
The thing to do is to see if the process is still around and if it's getting
any cpu time (ie, making progress).

Large operations (tags, merge checkins, etc) on older branches will take
significant amounts of time.  This is even more so if they overlap with any
of the insanely busy periods on the server (due to backups, rebuilding the
search databases, snapshots, load spike every morning when everyone updates
their tree, etc etc).

If even in doubt, contact overseers and we can look more closely.

jeff