Re: CVS server deadlocked?

> Cc: Diego Novillo <dnovillo@redhat.com>, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
> From: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh@redhat.com>
> Date: 17 Jun 2002 17:52:16 +1000

>  >> The logs I have, show my rtag operations fighiting with anoncvs
>  >> access.
>
>  > That's normal for any large operation.
>
> It was taking forever so I killed it.  Later I found that was very bad
> of me.
>
> I have apologized perfusely to Diego.
>
> So... How long is long enough?  I mean it was taking about an hour
> when I killed it.

If the cvs command is still running, don't remove the lock; remove
locks only when the command has died.  You risk corrupting the whole
tree if you remove locks at random, their entire purpose is to prevent
that.

If the command seems to be completely stuck, which should be very
rare, the best thing to do is to contact overseers@sources.redhat.com
and ask them to kill the actual CVS process on sourceware.  Once the
process is gone, it will be safe to remove the lock, assuming it
doesn't get removed automatically.

If it's just going very slowly, be patient.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> <geoffk@redhat.com>