Re: SSE types and structures

> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 10:50:41AM +0200, Jan Hubicka wrote:
> > I guess we want to 32bit align DFmode, DImode, XFmode and their complex
> > variants, but not TFmode, SSE modes and MMX modes.
>
> Why not TFmode?  I'm thinking you shouldn't change that either.

Currently no-one is using TFmode, because it simply does not work.
Our libgcc is not gneerated for TFmodes for instance, so I think it
makes sense to do the change at the moment.
GCC 3.1.0 is the first recognizing TFmodes and we don't need to repeat
the mistake yet.

> > Unfortunately __m64 is typdefed to long long.  This makes problems for
> > x86-64 ABI, as then it will be passed in the integer register, instead
> > of memory, as specified.  What kind of breakage can cause if I retype it
> > to let say... V8QI?
>
> Another possibility is
>
>   typedef unsigned long long __m64 __attribute__((aligned(8)));

This still makes it impossible to distinquish __m64 from long long for
x86-64 ABI, but I guess it is not hot for 3.1.x yet.

> but that needs to be checked against Intel's compiler and
> how it lays out __m64 in structures.  It may be that we
> cannot change it at all.

I will check, thanks.

Honza