Install question.

Greetings.

First, YES, I read the install and readme files.<G>

Sadly though, they didn't mean a thing as I am a newbie to linux.

SO here is the situation. I have gcc 1.3 in a /root/downloads/gcc directory. After reading your install guide you said I needed to move it to its own directory, that was not the same as the source code. But where do I install it to make it run?

If you could, could you just spell out the commands or whatever I have to do? I have a mandrake 8.1 fresh install, and need your product to run other stuff I'm told.
I have a normal install (the install made it all for me).

But as I was a windows guy, I have no idea how to install, compile, configure stuff. Sooner or later I will learn all this linux stuff, but I am not there yet.