Re: is_predicate_p?

Jason Merrill wrote:

> Predicates in GCC come in a wide variety of spellings.  Some end in _p,
> some start with is_, some have _is_ in the middle, some just expect you to
> know they're predicates based on the meaning of the name.  Should we set
> some sort of standard spelling for future additions?

I'd vote for the _p convention. FWIW I used to use the is_ convention and
found it more awkward. I think the reason may be that with predicates
you are asking a question, and in english you'd use a ? at the end of the
sentance. The is_foo form looks a little like an assertion. May be a
spanish speaker would prefer the is_ convention (or even is_foo_p :-)

Although I use lisp, I don't consider myself as coming from a lisp
background.

nathan
--
Dr Nathan Sidwell   ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::   CodeSourcery LLC
         'But that's a lie.' - 'Yes it is. What's your point?'