Re: Convert 3.2 sources to ISO C90

>In message <3CFE7AA9.553C5298@apple.com>, Stan Shebs writes:
>> law@redhat.com wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]  In fact we've received bug reports within
>>> the last couple weeks due to folks trying to build on HPs using the bundled
>>> compiler and running into cases where ANSI-isms have crept into the sources.
>>
>> I think it's very telling that a) the ISOisms are quietly showing
>> up over and over, and that b) there is only a small group of HP
>> users that ever notice this.
>Yes, but do we want to lock them out of being able to build GCC?  That
>seems so counter-intuitive as to be silly to me.
>
>And given that the reports came in nearly immediately after GCC 3.1 was
>released and multiple times I'm not sure I'd call it a "small group".
>
>I think this would be an amazingly bad thing to do.

As an admin who supports thousands of HP boxes, I disagree.

It is simple to put directions in the HP section such as: "As of GCC 3.2 you
need an ANSI compiler to compile GCC.  As HP does not supply one, please either
download a binary copy of GCC 3.1 or first build GCC 2.95.3 (or 3.1.1 assuming
it works) which works with the old HP compiler and use that to build GCC 3.2."

This, IMO, is MUCH better than what just occurred with GCC 3.1 which didn't
bootstrap on the stock HPUX install because no GCC developer tests with HP's
junky bundled compiler.

My 2¢,
Kelley Cook