Re: DECL_RTL vs. explicit make_decl_rtl calls

--On Thursday, May 30, 2002 04:02:06 AM -0700 "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> wrote:

Why do we ever perform explicit make_decl_rtl calls when
DECL_RTL will do that when necessary?
Only because of design bugs elsewhere.  Sometimes, information is
encoded in the RTL that is not encoded anywhere else.  (I think
asmspecs giving register names are one example, but I could be
wrong.)

In theory all such places should be found and killed; if the DECL node
doesn't contain enough information to generate appropriate RTL it's
missing something.