Re: Rename -W to -Wextra ?

In article <20020603073501.A9892@disaster.basement.lan> you write:
>On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 11:52:28AM +0100, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Phil Edwards wrote:
>>
>> > (I've been finding all the things that -W controls right now, and will
>> > update the manual.  I'll probably need some help coming up with example
>> > code that triggers the warning.)
>>
>> Can you split -W into separate options for the separate things it
>> controls, the way -Wall is just the union of such separate options?
>
>Well, I /can/, but I don't think it's a good idea.  Do we really want that
>many new -W* options?

Yes.

Or more specifically, I could use them, and I suspect I'm not alone.

Separate -W options are very, very useful in -Werror contexts, for instance.
It's often the case that sometimes, the compiler, or the system headers,
or whatever circumstances, makes one warning more or less useless.

Having separate switches for all W flags makes it possible to fine-tune a
compile to specific circumstances.