Re: QMTest and the G++ testsuite

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:51:16PM -0400, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> Is there a document somewhere that describes the preference for
> Python?  It's a new tool dependency, so the question arises "why
> didn't Perl or Tcl suffice" (Perl being depended on for updating
> manuals IIRC).  No need to answer here; I'm sure there's a
> thought or two written down to appease peasants like me. :-)

OK, before this thread descends into a [my language is better than your
language and your language sucks] thread, please read the FAQ
for the Software Carpentry contest:

http://sc-archive.codesourcery.com/faq.html#why-python

A few years ago, the Advanced Computing Laboratory at the U.S.
Department of Energy's Los Alamos National Laboratory funded
the Software Carpentry design competition a few years ago.  The intent of the
competition was to foster some new and creative designs for easier
basic tools for software engineering, which would be available as Open Source.

There were several categories, one of which was Test.  The QMTest tool
is based on the entry which won in this category.

You can read the full details of the Software Carpentry contest at:

http://sc-archive.codesoucery.com

One of the other winners in the Build category for this contest has
evolved into the SCons project: http://www.scons.org, which is a project
that I am interested in.

I really liked the idea of the Software Carpentry contest, and am
very interested in seeing new and exciting tools and ideas to reduce
the drudgery of software engineering.  I wish Mark all the best as
he tries to expand and improve QMTest, and I hope that the
other winning designs in this competition lead to new and better
tools which can benefit all.

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr